Overview: Coffee Meets Bagel is a free online dating app that delivers members one match (or "Bagel") every day at noon. Members simply choose to LIKE or PASS their Bagels. The profiles include five photos, first name, age, location, ethnicity, height, religion, occupation, employer, education and bit of information about the person. Whether you pass or like a bagel, you're asked to explain your decision by choosing keywords from a menu given to you (for example: cute, not my type, too many selfies, well-educated...etc), so the app can get a feel for who you're looking for. You can also pass a bagel to one of your friends, if they have the app and you think this person would be well-suited for them. Once two people connect (meaning they liked your profile, too), the chatting begins.
But you only have a specific window of time to initiate a conversation, which I believe is one week.
I've heard about this app from a number of people, so I decided to give it a shot to see what the hype was all about. I was on it for about two weeks and out of 32 "bagels" that I was presented, only liked 2 and actually connected with just 1.
Pros & Cons:
1. The pool of people on this app definitely seem to have their shit together. Most have amazing jobs and are well-educated, and it's nice to have an app that actually provides more info than just your location and age.
2. It doesn't suck up most of your time because you can't scroll through hundreds of people in one sitting.
3. I love when an app only allows you to chat with each other if there's a mutual liking, and Coffee Meets Bagel does that.
1. The pool of people on this app, although they have the brains, are lacking beauty. I'm not trying to sound shallow here, but there are not a lot of lookers on this dating site.
2. While it's nice that you're not given the option to waste all of your time swiping, one bagel a day is a little meh. You do get five additional "give or take" (meaning you can like them or pass them to a friend), but again, the limited number of "bagels" makes it very easy to forget you even have the app.
3. It doesn't let you know who your mutual friends are unless you connect. Knowing who the mutual friends are will help sway my decision, so I want to know before I like or pass, please.
3 out of 5 hearts; Bagels are good once in a while, but I'm going to have to stick to coffee & no carbs on this one.