Single Awareness Day is upon us, my friends, and if you don’t have a special someone to celebrate and do cheesy, romantic things with, it’s OK. You will get through this, I promise. I’m not exactly looking forward to Valentine’s Day (or what I’d like to call–Thursday) this year, but what can ya do? At least I have the luxury of working nights, so the reality of the matter is…even if I did have a Valentine, we couldn’t do anything that night anyway. Would it still be nice to come home and see flowers on my doorstep with a sweet card that lets me know I’m loved? Duh. Am I expecting it to happen? Absolutely not. Am I dropping subtle hints right now? Maybe.
Instead, my night will consist of pajamas, a warm blanket, an unimaginable amount of Breyer’s chocolate ice cream and a special viewing of He’s Just Not That Into You. I’m not kidding.
But for those of you who don’t have the option of drowning yourself in work on Valentine’s night, there are many other options to keep you sane and away from the Kleenex.
1. What Are Friends For? Get your fellow single buddies together and do something. Go to dinner, watch a movie–preferably a slasher flick–or just hang out like it’s another ordinary day, because it really is just another day (it’s a holiday created by Hallmark, for pete’s sake). The point is, you don’t have to go through this alone.
2. Go to the Gym: While all these lovey-dovey couples are on a caloric intake marathon with the dessert and the fancy meals and the wine, you’re getting sexy. Plus, there might be some other single cuties with the same idea.
3. Check for Local Anti-Valentine’s Day Festivities: I can almost promise you that no matter where you live, there’s some sort of singles party going on that night at a bar or restaurant. I took it upon myself to see what’s happening in the Los Angeles area and found all kinds of stuff! Here are some options, and here are some more.
4. Have a Me Day: Who loves you more than you? Dedicate a day to yourself. Go get pampered, get a massage, get your nails done, buy yourself those shoes you’ve been eying, take a bubble bath, listen to some good music, light some candles, diddle your skittle or beat the meat (yeah I said it…its guaranteed satisfaction). Focus on yourself. And whatever you do, keep plenty of chocolate around. Chocolate is like sex without having to shave your legs. Chocolate is the answer.
5. Try to Stay Away From Couples: No offense, but really? We don’t need to see the excessive PDA and cutesy-ness. We’re not bitter, we’re just sayin’. OK, just a little bitter.
Of course, there’s also that saying that Valentine’s Day is about all kinds of love, not just a boyfriend or girlfriend, so celebrate those relationships instead. I know it doesn’t help and it’s kind of annoying but I felt obligated to at least put it out there.
If all else fails, just come back to The Problem With Dating and spend your night reading everything that’s on the site because it’s so freakin’ awesome and life-changing.
Why are you laughing?